Friday, May 5, 2017

Special Edition Post - Art Institute

For this week's assignment, we were asked to chose one masterpiece and one disaster piece from the tour that was given to us.


I chose this one has my masterpiece. The first thing I noticed about it was the precision making of all those indentations, grooves, and slots. Having been able to create figures in this almost metal looking material with such fine visual representation is incredible. The amount of craftsmanship is clearly evident in this piece. the mass and volume given to the tress and mountains gives this piece a sense of three dimensionality.


This piece is the one I chose as the disaster piece. Even now, I cannot understand as to why this would be in the art institute. I could understand that it holds tremendous sentimental value to the artist being that its a tribute to someone close to them but candy as a form of art is barely scratching the surface. It something that questions the idea as to whether drawing a straight line is art or not. I also thinks because it gets replaced continuously that it loses value because at that point, its just candy and not truly art.

No comments:

Post a Comment