Sunday, January 22, 2017

Week 2 - Line Drawings



Craft: The tools that I used to create these pieces were a large white paper, small white paper, and a variety of pens. Part of the assignment was to use different lines to create various dynamics and impacts based on the lines that we used. Instead of using twenty different tools, I decided to primarily use ink pens. For each individual square, I decided to draw the shell of the sun, refraining from adding any detail. I drew each sun differently to be able to utilize different ways lines could be used. The kind of lines that I used were squiggly lines, lines going in a circular motion, straight lines, zig zag lines, and some sporadic lines. One of the things that I had to determine was whether to fill the sun entirely of lines or leave some spaces empty. I decided to do both and reflect upon how space plays an important role with lines and its impact.

Concept: Of all the things I could have used to demonstrate the usage of lines, I decided to draw a sun because the impact of something is much more powerful when we see that its recognizable. We know that the sun is hot, and so we associate heat, in regards to lines, as waves. I wanted to challenge that idea by using different line forms and seeing whether or not those variants of lines can give off the sensation of heat as well as waves can. It puts us in a place where something is different and now we have to deduce how we feel about it and what about it makes us feel that way being that its out of its stereotypical elements.

Composition: I used primarily black ink pens because I wanted to avoid the influence of color. Color can be impactful in ways that evoke a specific emotion, such as red meaning anger and yellow meaning happiness. I want people to view all of the drawings as black and white and when they glance over the sun with color, they feel something different. I want to gauge how they feel when drawings are mostly in black and very little is in color, as oppose to using all color for all drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment