Saturday, March 4, 2017

Week 8 - Contrast and Unity





Craft: I used a canon camera and adobe photoshop to create these images. The purpose of this assignment was to understand that photos can be manipulated to seem much more interesting, such as adding effects or even a stroke and we must be able to use those effects so that they work in unison with other components within that manipulated photo. I took photos of a jar of marbles, full, half- empty, and empty. I started by making the images black and white. Soon after I de-saturated the color to create a subtle contrast. I then used the elliptical and polygonal marque tools to create distinguishable shapes. I then added a stroke and drop shadow. I tried to have different opacities and or thickness of the stroke and drop shadow to be able to tell a narrative but these images aren't a good representation of that. Lastly, I added text that would flow smoothly throughout the photos, continuing the narrative pattern.

Concept: One of the things I was trying to accomplish was consistent unity. It was important to consider color as well as subject. I wanted to showcase a city that was full of life and was progressively losing that peace of mind. The first image shows a moon, using the marbles to show moonesque features that resembled a moon as well as the city. Slowly the moon losses its life along with the city, almost losing its "fullness", as well as using the color and shapes to tell a ominous narrative, with the words stating "fading peace of mind" to tie everything all together.

Composition: One of the most important things I had to considered was what shapes to use that would work well with de-saturated colors. The best I could think of was a city skyline because you could experiment endlessly with a skyline to get many interesting results. The gray that sits on top of the image also helps us to visualize that city at night. Different saturations for each image would have been better to help make the story clearer as well as the use of different effects but it works well.




No comments:

Post a Comment