Monday, February 13, 2017

Week 6 - Contrast Photos








Craft: I used a canon camera to produce these photos. The purpose of this assignment was to understand the use of contrast and how vital it becomes in regards to setting the dynamics in a drawing or photo. We needed to take photos of a subject of our choosing, representing different forms of contrast. I chose to take photos of marbles in a jar and I decided to take them in the same location. I used different "sides" of the jar in hopes that the pigment of the color and whatever transparency each marble allowed would significantly or even slightly affect the contrast.  

Concept: I don't know much about how light and glass works but It could be safe to assume that color significantly affects how light is reflected or refracted since color is involved as oppose to starting with a subject that is black and white. In the jar of marbles, it has been coincidentally split in between marbles on the warm side of the scale going up to the cool side of the scale. I noticed this because the warmer colored marbles seem to stand out the most when in warm lighting and cooler colored marbles in cool lighting.

Composition: These photos were taken using artificial lighting because I wanted to be able to manipulate the light. I feel as though natural lighting would only give me a subtle contrast, which could be achieved using artificial lighting. A white background was also necessary to be able to see how much of the value scale is shown in each photo, such as how the marble jar in one of the photos above is almost covered in darkness whereas in another one the marble jar seems to disappear in the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment